Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The WOW within sports.

LES Photo Courtesy of dav.d photography
This weekend, I was a personal witness to an amazing WOW moment. This moment, was within the closing minutes of the game between USU and the BYU. I don't want to spend to much time talking about how the game ended up, and how it got to be that way, because i'm pretty sure that everyone knows exactly what went down, and how it went down. No, today I want to talk about the wow-ness that lies within the emotion of being a spectator of a sport, and a team, that you love. Whether it be Football, Basketball, Bad-mitten or Curling, there is always a turning point in every contest that brings out the emotion of the fan, good or bad.For many, this is defiantly a love-hate relation ship. In this particular instance on Friday, I was on the love side of the relationship. With only about 1 minute, and 30 seconds away from accepting the ensuing defeat to yet another one of our in-state rivals, the shame dissapointment was setting in, the fact that I was witnessing the defeat first hand was even more dis-heartening. But then it happened, The turning point that every fan hopes and prays for as the time is ticking away and their there team is down. The feeling in the stadium turned from disapointment and frustration, to pride and relief. The wishes of many where granted, while on the flip side, many fans hearts where broken as they where hit in the face with a right hook fist full of defeat. Sports are a medium in which the spectrum of emotion can be changed quicker than any other I know. For this reason I love it, but for the same reason, I Hate it . And that's why these types of finishes, good or bad, will always make me say WOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment